About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Catherine and I am currently studying a Bachelor of Learning Management at CQUniversity. I am married and we have two beautiful boys. I had both my sons while studying this course full-time. At times, it has been challenging juggling family life with uni, but I feel like a stronger person for doing this and I know that the outcomes will benefit myself and my family, who mean the world to me.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Wikis for Collaborative Learning

Wikis are an incredible online tool! They help connect people all over the world, young and old, who share the same interests. A wiki is an online space where any number of users or guests can post, edit, modify, add and remove information to help with a project. In comparison to a blog where there is only one author and multiple contributors, a wiki can have multiple authors.

SmartTeaching.org (2010) states, ‘Wikis are an exceptionally useful tool for getting students more involved in curriculum.’ Here is a link to a section in their website ‘
50 Ways to use wikis for a more collaborative and interactive classroom’. They have great information that will help encourage participation, collaboration and interaction in the classroom.

Using wikis in the classroom for projects helps every student work collaborately with each other and the teacher. They are free to contribute freely to their groups anywhere where there is internet access. This promotes responsibility for their own learning, as it is public knowledge of how much each member has participated in contributing to a project. The students knowledge content grows as their wiki does. The classroom teacher, parent or guardian can easily monitor these spaces and attribute when necessary.

Unfortunately, Wiki’s do have their disadvantages. These are noticeable on well-known public wikis, such as Wikipedia, as it is easily vandalised. Although, ‘changes to any page are archived so the vandalism can be easily undone’ (iQuantum, 2010).


Now that I have made my own wiki and have enjoyed viewing others, I am confident to say that I will be using wikis in my classroom in the future.

Here is an entertaining YouTube clip to help you understand how a wiki works. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dnL00TdmLY&feature=fvw

References:
iQuantum. (2010). Get it together: Making wiki’s work. Retrieved on 19 August, 2010 from http://www.iquantum.com.au/benefits-of-a-wiki

SmartTeaching.org. (2010). 50 ways to use wikis for a more collaborative and interactive classroom. Retrieved on 19 August, 2010 from http://www.smartteaching.org/blog/2008/08/50-ways-to-use-wikis-for-a-more-collaborative-and-interactive-classroom/


No comments:

Post a Comment