About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Catherine and I am currently studying a Bachelor of Learning Management at CQUniversity. I am married and we have two beautiful boys. I had both my sons while studying this course full-time. At times, it has been challenging juggling family life with uni, but I feel like a stronger person for doing this and I know that the outcomes will benefit myself and my family, who mean the world to me.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Podcast

What is a podcast? Personally, I was a bit dumbfounded when I started this post as I have heard it mentioned before but had no idea where to start looking. I googled the definition and couldn't find one that I could get my head around, until I found the following website 'PodcastFAQ'. It has a section called 'Blogging and Podcasting terms'. I found it very useful and definitely recommend having a look, if you are not 100% clear yourself, on what a podcast is and how it is used. The definition PodcastFAQ (2010) uses is 'A multimedia file (audio or video) that is part of a feed. An author can publish podcasts on a regular schedule, and when the author publishes a new podcast, anyone who is subscribed to the feed using an aggregator will get the file downloaded automatically.'

In the classroom, a teacher might wish to create their own podcast for a unit of work. This way when the teacher publishes, the students who are subscribers, will automatically get this feed. Therefore, will have the information simultaneously, whether it is at home or at school.

Reference:

PodcastFAQ. (2010). Blogging and podcasting terms. Retrieved on 23 August, 2010 from www.podcastfaq.com/glossary/blogging-and-podcasting-terms/

3 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine, I like that in this post you have said that you weren't clear on what a podcast is, so you looked it up and here's the definition if you're unclear yourself. That's great communication skills with your readers and is helpful if they don't know what it means. Great job =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine,
    I remember a few years ago when I was living in Brisbane one of the Universities down there was presenting course materials via podcasts so that students could access the information they needed on the go. Im not too sure how successful that mode of delivery was, and im sure that some students would have found it more beneficial that others (for eg. I doubt it would have appealed to kinaesthetic learners). Anyway I thought I would share a real life example of podcasting with you seeing as though you didn't know what it was.
    Kellie

    ReplyDelete